1950’s Themed Wedding
Perfect for: DIY Weddings
A 1950’s themed wedding is Bright, Happy and Kitsch!
- Location Ideas
- Decoration Ideas
- Music / Entertainment
- Wedding Favours
- Food Ideas
- Clothes and accessories
- Extra touches
- A venue with a large central dance floor.
- A marquee in an overgrown English country garden.
- Maybe have the reception in an American themed burger joint or diner.
- OverThemMoonTents.com supply great 40’s and 50’s style themed marquees and decorations.
- Choose a candy colour scheme. Pastel pinks, blues and greens.
- Cute girly patterns can be brought in, such as polka dots, checks or floral.
- Lace, buttons, pearls, vintage floral fabric and bows can be used to decorate your venue in a variety of ways. For starters, consider using them to decorate vases and candles or placemats.
- Hang colourful parasols to add a bit of brightness and colour.
- Use piles of vintage suitcases to decorate the venue. Or if you have a vintage bridal car pile them up on the roof for some fantastic photos as you drive off into the sunset.
- Instead of a DJ why not hire a jukebox – then you can allow your guests to pick their own favourite 50’s tunes.
- Or try a 50’s style band with costumes!!
“Lipstick on His Collar” a 50′s 60′s style rock and roll Band
Lipstick On His Collar are an exciting 50′s / 60′s showband, specialising in bringing the Classic Pops hits from the Golden Era of music back to life. With authentic vintage style costumes to add to the sense of occasion. Classic music from Connie Francis, Buddy Holly, The Ronettes and The Beatles to name but a few!
- Personalised matchboxes
- Home baked cookies in retro shapes. Choose an icing colour to match your scheme and wrap in cellophane, then tie with pretty bows.
- If you’re going the American route consider ‘Diner Style’ food. Hotdogs, burgers, waffles and Ice cream sundaes.
- Consider having a ‘sweet shop’ to keep the kids entertained. Fill big glass jars with colourful sweets, or have cute little pots with a selection of sweets in each.
- Cocktails became popular in the 50’s. Why not treat your guests to any of the following; The Vesper, Classic Champagne Cocktail, Daiquiri or Martini.
- You can hire mobile cocktail bars if you want the drinks to be flowing all night
- With the cocktails you could serve classic canapés such as olives and vegetables wrapped in bacon.
- What about treating your younger guests to milkshakes.
- Hire an old fashioned ice cream van if you are having your wedding in the summer.
- For a glamorous look consider wearing long gloves.
- Pearls, lace and bows were all popular in the 1950’s, you could try to incorporate any of these elements into your wedding dress.
- Kitten heels were the shoe of choice.
- Choose a plainer 50’s style dress, then make it sparkle by pinning on a vintage brooch.
- Hire or borrow a vintage 1950’s car. Have a look on the internet to find companies that hire out MG TA’S, MG Midgets, Morris Minor’s or VW Beetles. You may be able to find someone with a small collection locally that will let you hire one for a reasonable price.
- Or go American and hire a Cadillac.
- What about hiring a vintage London bus to get your wedding party from the ceremony to the reception?
- Instead of a guest book have your guests write messages on little pastel coloured hearts – these can then be pinned to black / white background for everyone to see. You can arrange your hearts at a later date into a scrapbook
- Consider buying an authentic 1950’s cake topper. Try ebay to find a bargain.
- Instead of a guest book have a vintage typewriter for guests to write their wishes. You can bind the pages together at a later date.